The official blog of the Saved Content site

The aim of this blog is to collect and archive my selected thoughts, ideas, feelings, reactions, and opinions on subject matters that pique my interest. These entries represent initial drafts that may contain grammatical and spelling errors and whose substance and position could still change, and which, at some point, I could decide to put together into in-depth articles that will be posted on the main Saved Content and Poverty Sucks sites.

"God save us all from that evil Satanic Nazi, Paypal."

How I Bought Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box, the Asian version for the XBOX 360

Continued from Part 1:
How I Found Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box, the Asian version for the XBOX 360

After I found Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box at Data Blitz at Park Square, I decided to buy it.  I waited a few days before I went back to Data Blitz the day before the start of the Holy Week break. I looked for the game and it was still there on the shelf. I brought it to the cash register to buy the game. I asked one last time just to make sure, if the game could play on a U.S. XBOX 360 console. This time the cashier checked and replied that she couldn't say for sure.

That stopped me cold. I asked her to verify that again so she checked and she said again that she really couldn't say for a fact that the game could play on a U.S. XBOX 360 console. My head was spinning. I was told that the game could play on a U.S. console and now they weren't so sure. Now I had my doubts whether the game was indeed region free.

I then asked if I bought the game, would I be able to return it if in case it wouldn't play on my console. She answered that it wasn't possible if the game was already opened. That stopped me dead cold.

I had to think it through very carefully before making my purchase. The only way to verify for sure that the game could play would be to try to play it on my XBOX 360. The only way to do that would be to open the case; but if I opened the case, played the game, and then found that it wouldn't play, I couldn't return it.

I really wanted the game. I was almost sure that the game was region free but the cashier now said she wasn't sure that it could play on U.S. consoles and I couldn't return the game if I played it and found out it wasn't compatible. I now had doubts whether this would be a good purchase.

I was dazed and confused. I returned the game to the shelf and stepped outside the shop to gather myself. I turned to Google with the help of my BlackBerry and tried looking for any mention that Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box was region free.

I found the usual online stores that I had already found before. I found forums where someone asked if this particular edition of Burnout Paradise was region free, but no one could give a definitive answer. Finally I found the game being sold on eBay where the seller specifically stated on the item's page that this Asian version was region free and could be played on a U.S. XBOX 360.

Still, my mind was swirling with doubts. I had to decide today. If I couldn't buy the game today, and if the game was compatible with my XBOX 360, I wouldn't be able to play the game over the Holy Week vacation. On the other hand, if I bought the game, and the game wasn't compatible with my console, I'd be regretting what I did for the whole of my vacation.

I decided to take the risk despite my doubts. All of the online stores that were selling Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box said that the game was region free. An eBay seller was also saying that the game was region free. I had a very good chance that the game was region free.

I went back in the store, took the game from the shelf, brought it to the cash register, and paid for the game with my credit card. All I could think about on the whole trip going home was if I did the right thing, what I could do with the game if it wasn't compatible with my console, how much I could still sell the game for, who could I sell it to, and consoling myself by telling myself that I could still sell the game for not much less than the price I bought it since the game would still be nearly brand new.

When I got home, I immediately started opening the case very gently so that I could still sell it as nearly in mint condition. I carefully peeled back the Microsoft seal on the case, opened the case, and stuck the seal inside the case. I turned on my XBOX 360, took the game disc and inserted it in the console.

I held my breath for the few seconds that the disc spun up. I was finally greeted with the successive logos of Electronic Arts and Criterion Games. The Asian version of Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box was region free and was compatible with my U.S. XBOX 360!

I finally had the game I wanted but it wouldn't have happened if not for my actions or inactions and the occurences that transpired. If I had renewed my license earlier, I wouldn't have experienced the long lines and long waiting time at the drug testing lab at the LTO branch in SM North which was the result of a recent introduction of a new software system. If I had been able to finish the driver's license renewal process earlier at the SM North LTO, I wouldn't have gone to the LTO branch at Ayala MRT.

Fortunately for me, I arrived at the LTO Ayala MRT branch during the lunch break of the drug testing lab so I had to go to Park Square to pass the time while waiting for the lab to open. I'm glad that when I was at Park Square, I decided to go inside Data Blitz even though I don't really buy games there. Finally, if I hadn't checked the XBOX 360 section while inside Data Blitz, I wouldn't have been able to find Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box. It was meant for me. It was destiny.
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment