The official blog of the Saved Content site

The aim of this blog is to collect and archive my selected thoughts, ideas, feelings, reactions, and opinions on subject matters that pique my interest. These entries represent initial drafts that may contain grammatical and spelling errors and whose substance and position could still change, and which, at some point, I could decide to put together into in-depth articles that will be posted on the main Saved Content and Poverty Sucks sites.

"God save us all from that evil Satanic Nazi, Paypal."

Family Sharing Announced on Steam's 10th Anniversary

The past week marked the 10th year of existence of Valve's Steam service. The past week also saw Valve announce a Family Sharing scheme for users to share their Steam game library with family and friends. A good move to commemorate Steam's 10th Anniversary.

Family Sharing is a boon for users who have family or friends who have hundreds of games in their Steam library and who can't seem to find the time to whittle down their game backlog. These hundred game backlogs are a sign of how far Steam has come from 10 years ago.

When Steam came out in 2003, like many people, I regarded Steam as just another form of oppressive DRM and I vowed I'd rather pirate their games than use Steam. Like many people, what changed my mind was the incredible sales Steam offered throughout the years.

I bought my first game on Steam, which was Half-Life, for only $0.98 in 2008. Since then I've bought all of my games on the various sales of different game shops. The low prices effectively ended the specter of piracy for me. Like many people, the sales built up my game collection to the point where I have a huge backlog.

Thank you Steam for helping to revive PC gaming and to reduce software piracy. Curse you for making me spend so much. Happy 10th Anniversary.

0 comments:

Post a Comment